Yesterday Richard taught on the necessary tension between flesh and Spirit. He gave us 9 principles to walking by the Spirit. They are:
- Adopt a warfare mentality – I Peter 5:8
“Conversion is like enlisting in the army.” DL Moody
“There is something about war that sharpens the senses…You hear a twig snap or the rustling of leaves and you are in attack mode…Someone coughs and you are ready to pull the trigger…war keeps us vigilant. The problem is that as Christians, we often forget we are in a war” Ed Welch
- Release your guilt to Christ – John 20:19-21
“Guilt and change cannot coexist.” Ed Welch
- Believe the Spirit will lead you by new power to new freedom – Ezekiel 36:26
“God make me as holy as a saved sinner can be.” Robert M. McCheyne
- Understand how the Holy Spirit produces change – Galatians 5:18
- Read the Scripture that you might pray in the power of the Spirit – Ephesians 6:17-18
“The fight of faith is fought with the promises of God.” George Muller
“The fight against sin is a fight to trust our heavenly Father.” Kevin DeYoung
“Sinners, can you behold a crucified Christ and not fall in love with him.” John Bunyan
- Do not give sin the slightest opportunity – Romans 13:14
What are your “high risk” situations?
- Take responsibility for the condition of your heart – James 1:13-14
Healing will never occur if we deny our culpability.
- Do not lie about the condition of your heart – Isaiah 28:15
“The greatest deception in life is not deceiving others, but deceiving self.”
- Glorify God; work hard – Galatians 5:16; Philippians 2:12-13
God gives you victory through the fighting.
“Holiness is plain hard work, and we’re often lazy. We like our sins, and dying to them it Is painful. Almost everything Is easier than growing in godliness. So we try and fail, try and fail, and then give up.” Kevin DeYoung
Watch the entire message here.